What is a crown?
A dental crown is a fixed restoration that is custom made to mimic the shape, function, and appearance of your natural teeth. The crown covers the entire tooth, starting at the gum line. If a tooth is severely damaged but has a solid root, the crown can be cemented on top to repair the tooth and protect it from further damage. If a tooth is missing entirely, our dentists can use crowns in conjunction with dental implants to provide a natural-looking and natural-feeling tooth replacement.
What are crowns used for?
Dental crowns can be used for a variety of restorative and cosmetic purposes. Dr. Hoffman, Dr. Flicker, and Dr. Sher may recommend a crown to:
- Cover and complete a dental implant
- Anchor a dental bridge
- Restore a severely decayed or damaged tooth
- Enhance the aesthetics of a badly stained or discolored tooth
- Support a tooth with a large filling
- Strengthen a weakened or fractured tooth
- Protect a tooth following root canal therapy
- Improve the appearance and function of a misshapen tooth
Thanks to our on-site dental lab, you can rest assured that your crown will be made to the highest standards with the highest possible quality of materials and care.
Do I need a crown?
Our dentists will help you determine whether a dental crown in Chicago, Illinois, is right for your smile. To learn more and to find out if a custom-made crown is what your smile needs, we welcome you to contact us soon at The Dental Implant Associates.