Xerostomia, commonly known as dry mouth, is the result of saliva glands not functioning properly. Some causes include stress, nervousness, side effect of certain medications, smoking, or a consequence of disease or treatment. Oradent Associates wants to help you manage underlying medical conditions causing dry mouth, prevent tooth decay from occurring, and increase the flow of your saliva.
Your doctor or dentist may deliberate a change if your dry mouth is the result of a health-related condition or side effect from medicine. They may adjust the dosage or change your prescription. If these cannot be changed, saliva flow will be focused on.
Without saliva, you are more susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease. It is a natural mouth cleanser, so pay attention to your dental care by brushing twice daily, flossing every day, and visiting the dentist twice a year.
Artificial saliva products in the form of an over-the-counter rinse or a spray may be recommended. Moisturizing gels, toothpastes, or mouthwashes specifically formed are also available. Ask your dentist which product is best for you.
There are numerous ways to lessen or prevent dry mouth including:
– Drink water frequently, keeping your mouth moist and washing away any food particles.
– Chew sugar-free candy, sugarless gum, and popsicles to help increase saliva flow.
– Avoid foods high in salt and sugar as well as drinks containing alcohol or caffeine.
– Avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol or peroxide which can make your mouth drier.
– To increase humidity in your home, use a humidifier at night.
– Quit smoking.
Oradent Associates would be happy to assist you to receive the best treatment for dry mouth. Contact us at 773-478-5520 here in Chicago, Illinois, to find the best solution for you.