Cavities are created by a hole in your teeth. We have a defensive layer on our teeth called tooth enamel, but there are ways that bacteria and harmful acids to our smile can dig their way through. Luckily, there are treatment systems to combat the effects of plaque and acids and prevent cavities from manifesting.
For personal treatments, Your oral health services guide for cavity prevention features the following attributes:
– Use cleaning utensils that have been recommended or approved by your dentist, or those that feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Do not fall victim to foods that can crack your teeth, such as hard candies, or products that stick around your mouth for too long, such as sticky and gummy treats.
– Be sure to floss between your teeth to remove any plaque buildup or food residue that brushing alone cannot reach.
– Remove sugary foods and drinks from your diet that can be converted into harmful acids, which causes dental erosion.
– Focus on brushing your teeth at least twice every day.
– Focus on scheduling at least 2 professional cleanings with your dentist every year.
Keeping your teeth clean ensures cavities will not be able to harm you. To schedule your professional cleaning at Oradent Associates with Dr. Larry Hoffman, Steven Flicker, & David Sher and our team at our dentist office in Chicago, Illinois, simply give us a call at 773-478-5520. We look forward to bringing your smile back to its fullest.